COVENANTERS WALK – DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
GATEHOUSE OF FLEET to GLENGAP (and vice versa! )
1pm for 1.30pm on Sunday 28th July 2013
The ancient drove road which runs from near Stranraer to London is of great significance. Part of the drove road runs from Gatehouse to Glengap and is an archaeological site which has been a right of way for many centuries. In times past the road was used for herding animals and, from 1755 up to about 1780, as a military road. Irelandton Moor was a route used by the Covenanters during their tragic times. There are many sites in the area relating to the times of strife including the Martyrs Grave & Monument at Kirkconnel in the Glengap area, graves in Twynholm and Anwoth churchyards, Girthon Old Kirkyard, and in Kirkcudbright. Some of the local covenanters were tenant farmers at Miefield and Irelandton.
A map and historical notes will be supplied at the start of the walk at Windy Walls.
The walk is about 3 miles along the drove road, partly on hard track and partly along field edges.
There are two or three small burns to cross. Walking boots are recommended. There is one stile at Carse of Trostrie.